Charged with a DUI in Chicago, Illinois?
Getting arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) can be overwhelming. If it is your first time getting arrested, you may be unsure about your next step. Anytime you are charged with a DUI in Chicago, IL, you will need to hire a reputable attorney immediately. Dennis F. Dwyer is one of the best DUI attorneys in Illinois. With his background and experience, he is the Chicago DUI lawyer to call whenever you get arrested for DUI.
Your Rights When Stopped By Police in Chicago, IL
- The Right to Remain Silent—You have the right to remain silent and not answer any police questions. In order to exercise this right, you must verbally tell the officers that you choose to use your right to remain silent. Do not answer any questions, and reaffirm your decision to remain silent if asked further questions.’
- The Right to Refuse a Search—You can refuse to allow the officer to search yourself, your home and your car. If you choose to exercise this right, then you must tell them that you do not consent to a search. Unless they return with a search warrant, they cannot legally search.
- The Right to a Lawyer—You have the right to be represented by a lawyer. You must tell the police that you wish to speak with a lawyer. A lawyer is a valuable resource for advice and guidance.
- The Right to Leave if Not Under Arrest—You must ask if you are being detained or are under arrest. If the officer says that you are neither being detained or arrested, then you are free to leave. Calmly leave, and do not speed away.
What To Do When Arrested for DUI in Chicago, IL
- Be polite and courteous to law enforcement—It is in your best interest to treat the police or any other law enforcement personnel with courtesy. Even if you are unhappy with being stopped or arrested, a polite demeanor will work in your favor. Avoid extra charges for resisting arrest and obstruction by cooperating. However, cooperation does not mean providing evidence. Do not answer questions or admit to wrongdoing.
- Inform the officers that you wish to use your right to remain silent and wish to speak with your attorney—Remaining silent is not sufficient. You must verbally express your desire to use your right to remain silent and ask for your attorney. Once you have expressed your desire to remain silent, it is okay to remain silent. If the officers continue to attempt to question you then you can re-express your wish to remain silent and to speak with your attorney. Do not answer questions or admit to wrongdoing.
- Call your attorney—Call an attorney that you can trust. An attorney can give you advice and help you to get the best resolution possible. Attorneys have studied the law and understand the best course of action. Experience with similar cases will allow a Chicago DUI lawyer to prepare you for what to expect and understand how to resolve the situation in your favor whenever possible. Dennis F. Dwyer is a Chicago DUI lawyer that you can trust to provide excellent counsel and to work aggressively for you.
Tips For Dealing With Police in Chicago, IL
Law enforcement officers have a difficult and dangerous job. For your own interest and safety, it is important to treat the officers with respect. Whenever you interact with a police officer remember to:
- Stay Calm.
- Be polite.
- Keep your hands clearly visible.
- Do not make sudden movements.
- Do not touch the officers or their equipment.
Don’t give the officers any evidence to use against you. By treating the officers with respect, you are protecting yourself.
Three Reasons To Choose Dennis F. Dwyer as Your Chicago, IL Attorney
- Dennis F. Dwyer is a Successful DUI Defense Attorney—Dennis F. Dwyer is a top criminal and DUI defense attorney with offices in Bridgeview and Chicago. As a Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney, he tried numerous jury trials to verdict and hundreds of trials before judges. Get help from Mr. Dwyer with your DUI in Chicago.
- Dennis F. Dwyer is Aggressive and Clever—As a prosecutor, Mr. Dwyer prepared hundreds of police officers to testify in criminal and DUI trials. This experience has given him a unique insight into police investigations, allowing Mr. Dwyer to expose poor police work at trial. You need a smart Chicago DUI lawyer.
- Dennis F. Dwyer is An Educated Leader—Mr. Dwyer graduated Magna Cum Laude (with honors) from the University of Illinois College of Law. He is currently on the board of the South Suburban Bar Association and a member of the Federal Trial Bar, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the South Suburban Bar Association, the Southwest Bar Association, and the Northwest Suburban Bar Association.
Dennis F. Dwyer Can Help You With Your Chicago DUI
Whether you have just been arrested, or have old arrests you would like expunged from your record, Dennis F. Dwyer can help you with your Chicago DUI case. He has experience dealing with all aspects of Chicago DUI cases and can help you:
- Remove unwanted arrests from your record if you qualify for expungement
- Fight DUI charges
- File appropriate paperwork
- Take your case to trial
Most importantly, Dennis F. Dwyer can be your advocate in court. When you face the court, you can rest assured knowing that you have someone on your side. He will do everything in his power to ensure that you get the best result possible for you situation. Since every DUI case is different, Dennis F. Dwyer will provide the guidance and advice appropriate for your unique case.
Don’t delay. If you’ve been arrested or charged with a DUI in Chicago, IL contact Dennis F. Dwyer today. Come in for a free consultation and learn how he can help you with your Chicago DUI case.
Finding an Attorney that is right for you
It’s tough to find the right attorney—one that you can trust. We’re confident we can help. Give us call and find out if The Law Office of Dennis F. Dwyer is right for you.